[Baypiggies] Java or Python? (was: PERL or PYTHON)

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 10:01:26 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Tung Wai Yip <tungwaiyip at yahoo.com> wrote:
> How about Java v.s. Python? Obviously I'm not looking for unbiased unanswer :) I just want to hear more opinion.
>
> A few years ago the job market of Java v.s. Python is like 97% to 3%. I think Python has made significant gain since then. All those tasks that are very involving in Java, like doing web services, especially with ws-* protocol, become fairly trivial in Python. Outside of work I have started a number of geeky projects, all of them are base on Python. I haven't touched Java in a few years and I wonder how does it fair today.

(This is all stuff you know, I'm sure:)

Years ago, I was reading a Java Swing book.  There was this great
little example where they built a simple IDE.  I translated it into
Jython, and I cut the number of lines in one third.  In the book
"RESTful Web Services", there's are examples written in Python, Ruby,
Java, etc.  Once again, the Python code is half the size of the Java
code.

Sure, there are lots of jobs in the Java world.  Thankfully, there's
very rarely a shortage of jobs in the Python world.  Let's be grateful
for that, and stick with the nicer language.

(The only place where Java has Python beat is that it performs better.
 Thankfully, that's rarely an issue for me since I usually have to
worry a lot more about scalability than performance.)

-jj

--
In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
with great love. -- Mother Teresa