[Baypiggies] Question about employment application forms

Roderick Llewellyn roderick at sanfransystems.com
Sat Oct 24 20:52:35 CEST 2009

Hello All,
I have a question about how you all out there handle modern employment
forms, which ask for salary requirements. Many of these online applications
demand a numeric entry before you can even proceed with the application, so
you can't enter things of the form of "negotiable" or "decline to state" or
"make me an offer" lol.
Prior to about 10 years ago, companies never discussed salary until they
were ready to make an offer, at which time they made the first move, usually
issuing an offer letter. These days companies have decided to steal even
that small negotiating advantage by making the candidate state his/her price
before candidate even knows if the company has the slightest interest in
them. I find this offensive, but that's how it's done now.
My question is: how do you handle this kind of thing? I'm not looking for
people to tell me their salaries or the like. I'm interested mainly in the
logical process by which you come up with a number to fill in these forms
which demand one. I have been searching for work for a couple years now, and
it's possible that the numbers I've entered in these forms have caused me to
be eliminated without the firm even bothering to read my resume or the rest
of my application (e.g., their application process has code of the form "IF
salary_requirement [candidate] > our_incredibly_low_amount THEN reject
(candidate)" )
For example, do people (who ideally have actually gotten jobs through this
kind of process) have heuristics such as:
1. I enter in the last salary I made. At least we know I must have been
worth that to somebody.
2. Same as 1., but I increase it by X %. After all I deserve a raise.
3. I always tell the truth, and enter in the minimum I would accept, since
that maximizes my chance of getting a job I would actually take.
4. I enter in a large number, knowing that the firm will always cut it down,
never increase it.
5. I roll the dice. One number is as good as another.
6. I do careful research to determine what similar positions pay to the one
that I'm going for, and state a number similar to that. (Problem with that
is that in my personal case, I have been unable to find useful salary
information - my belief is that developer salaries have plummeted in the
last few years, and can find no comparables to my 35 years of experience -
which is valued at zero by the marketplace anyway).
Anyway those are just a few ideas. Please again don't get offended, I'm not
trying to penetrate people's privacy, just trying to get a handle on how
people have (ideally successfully!) deal with this very difficult (and in my
opinion, totally unfair) question that now occurs on most firms' application
forms.
Thanks very much,
Rod Llewellyn