[Baypiggies] Question about employment application forms

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Mon Oct 26 13:54:04 CET 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009, Shannon -jj Behrens wrote:

> I've interviewed at several places that I had no real relation to, but
> almost invariably, the best companies come to me through my network.
> Best of all, since they already know all about me, I don't have to
> bother with a technical interview ;)

As I said before, both my last two jobs came from Craigslist postings
(that is, I knew nothing about the companies before applying, nor really
about the people working there).  However, people at both companies knew
*me* from my work in the Python community and in both cases the technical
interviews were rather minimal.  It was mostly a matter of seeing whether
I'd be a good fit.

So yes, having a high profile in Open Source and the Python community
does make a difference in finding jobs.  That's not why I do it, of
course -- I don't think it's possible to keep a commitment like this for
more than a decade unless you want to do it for its own sake, but I
figure it's worth noting that it does sometimes come with external
rewards.

"You could make Eskimos emigrate to the Sahara by vigorously arguing --
at hundreds of screens' length -- for the wonder, beauty, and utility of
snow."  --PNH to rb in r.a.sf.f