[Baypiggies] Job - Salary Questions

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Oct 28 13:53:33 CET 2009

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009, Jason Culverhouse wrote:

> FWTW - If you get what you asked for, you probably didn't ask for
> enough.

So far, my history has been that I probably didn't ask for "enough",
partly because I've taken a fair number of jobs where there was at least
one obvious barrier to my doing well in the position (for example, my
first job at Borland they were hesitant to hire me for a phone tech
support position because of my hearing impairment).  I'm also not much
for trying to maximize the money I'm getting so long as what I'm getting
isn't too far out of line for my experience compared to other people.  So
I've never bargained; I've just taken whatever offer has been given.

OTOH, I have also been mostly fortunate that most of my previous
employers have been comfortable giving me large raises after I've
demonstrated my worth.

"You could make Eskimos emigrate to the Sahara by vigorously arguing --
at hundreds of screens' length -- for the wonder, beauty, and utility of
snow."  --PNH to rb in r.a.sf.f