[Baypiggies] Chompapps Position - from Issue 31

Peter Trudelle trudelle at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 18:59:54 CET 2009

Age discrimination is a very difficult subject, but there is no basis in
the study cited for any overall "brain level", let alone its declining
with age. Some abilities appeared to decline while others increased; in
fact, "abilities based on accumulated knowledge...increased until age
60".  This last detail is misleading, as the study did not include
anyone over 60, so all they found was that it kept increasing.
Programming ability is affected by accumulated knowledge, and it is also
much more complex than solving puzzles, recalling words and story
details and spotting patterns in letters and symbols, so I'm not sure
how applicable this study is to it.  BTW, the last paragraph contains a
logical fallacy; "virtually everyone agreeing" on something does not
make it true, as implied. I find it odd that anyone would expect a
recent graduate to outperform someone who may have spent their entire
life honing skills the graduate has barely started to develop.  FWIW,
the only 80 year old programmer I ever worked with could code rings
around the recent graduates.  And why not?  He had 50+ years of
experience, we had none.

Peter