[Baypiggies] Chompapps Position - from Issue 31

resmith at runbox.com resmith at runbox.com
Thu Oct 29 20:08:36 CET 2009

Some of you have quoted or half-quoted the only positive words in the article regarding age. But this is the full paragraph where those words occurred and I find it difficult to read it and not see it as ammunition for Zuckerberg:

"The researchers found that the first marked decline was at age 27 in tests of brain speed, reasoning and visual puzzle-solving ability. However, memory stayed intact until age 37, while abilities based on accumulated knowledge, such as performance on tests of vocabulary or general information, increased until age 60."

One thing I have lamented in the past regarding programming, is that it's very easy for some of your "accumulated knowledge" to become worthless or worse (as in you should leave it off your resume). Years ago there was an article in InfoWorld about a conference where they had a panel up on stage taking questions from a moderator.

Q: "What is the best way for a company to train IBM Mainframe COBOL programmers to work on new PC-based C++  projects"

A: "I wouldn't even bother to train them. I would lay them off and hire new college graduates to do the C++ work".

Rob