[Baypiggies] Chompapps Position - from Issue 31

resmith at runbox.com resmith at runbox.com
Fri Oct 30 01:04:55 CET 2009

>> If there is no decline with age then I don't see a need for any study
>> as real-world experience will cause hiring managers, through their
>> own personal "studies", to be unconcerned about age. If ability
>> increases due to accumulated knowledge and experience then age
>> discrimination would likely be the reverse of the way it takes place
>> in other professions and the people complaining about it would be 20
>> somethings.

>You are apparently unaware of the numerous cases where people's
>prejudices bias hiring decision.  Are you familiar with racism and
>sexism, just for starters?  Are you aware that there are laws prohibiting
>discrimination against people over 40 precisely because of this?

My bad, I got into "argument mode" and was being ironic, which wasn't the right way to put it. My point was that many hiring managers (not just Zuckerman) do seem to have an age bias which may have come from their personal observation.  You are correct in stating that this could be due to invalid personal prejudice.