[Baypiggies] Chompapps Position - from Issue 31

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Fri Oct 30 10:52:46 CET 2009

>> So, my experience is that those resumes are not tossed automatically.
>> However, they must be related to the job in question. I found that
>> the
>> quality of the programmer does not decline with age, even well past
>> retirement age -- especially if that person is proactive and stays
>> current
>> in their field.
>>

> Let me give a specific case. There are 4 applicants for an ENTRY
> LEVEL Django Python Web job. None of the applicants have any
> experience in Python Django. Two are just graduating from TopNotchU
> with Computer Science degrees and two have twenty years experience
> as programmers in a variety of areas, but none of it with Web
> applications, and they have made it clear on their cover letter that
> they will take a pay cut if necessary to meet the salary range of
> the job.
>
> How many hiring managers will consider all four applicants equally?
>
> Rob

My personal experience is that they are all considered equally. If it
were me, I would consider them all equally.

I agree that ageism exists, unfortunately, and you will find cases
where some people will not treat those individuals equally. That's not
generally my experience, however.

Warmest Regards,

Glen