[Baypiggies] Chompapps Position - from Issue 31

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Fri Oct 30 16:19:47 CET 2009

On Oct 30, 2009, at 2:47 AM, Dennis Reinhardt wrote:
> Consider the topics of the last year's Baypiggies.  Are half the
> foundations of those talks over 5 years old ... or more like 18
> months?  How old are the tools, files, and technologies you deal
> with.  Are half over 5 years old? ... or less?

My talk next month will include mention of some file formats I use
frequently which were started in the 70s and 80s, and toolkits and
several applications which are 10-20 years old. I've seen code in
some of the tools I've used with comments dated from the 60s. Yes, it
was in FORTRAN.

One of the foundations I use is called "Python." It's been around
since '91.

Another foundation is HTTP which got to version 1.1 over 10 years
ago, and the technologies like WSGI and Django and so on are founded
on CGI from about 1993. Indeed, the general style of "database backed
web sites" like RubyOnRails, TurboGears, Django, etc. I would say
became the de facto solution shortly after Greenspun's book on that
topic in '97.

Fancy tail fins on a brand new '59 Cadillac didn't mean throwing out
a whole generation of mechanics who started with model As.

				Andrew
				dalke at dalkescientific.com