[Baypiggies] Eric Raymond likes Python

wesley chun wescpy at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 21:53:47 CEST 2009

On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Rami Chowdhury<rami.chowdhury at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a fondness for that article, it's one of the things that persuaded me
> to try learning Python :-)
>
> On Sep 6, 2009, at 12:21 , Aahz wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Sep 06, 2009, jim wrote:
>>>
>>> Here's a good overview Eric Raymond wrote of his experience in
>>> learning Python
>>>
>>> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3882
>>
>> Although that's good, it's also nearly a decade old....  ;-)

aahz is right. in fact, this is one of the most highly-read articles
in LJ history. i don't have the number to back it up, but it has yet
to leave the "most popular articles" section on the front page. i have
never ever *not* seen it there. he is one of the biggest names in open
source, and it's great to read such a candidly-written piece that
highlights the strengths of Python.

as an aside, here's the antithesis blog post:
http://bitcheese.net/wiki/nopython

comments on *that* one? (many already know that the 1.10000000000001
display issue is taken care of by Python 3.1.)

-- wesley
"Python Fundamentals", Prentice Hall, (c)2009
    http://corepython.com

"Python Web Development with Django", Addison Wesley, (c) 2009
    http://withdjango.com

wesley.j.chun :: wescpy-at-gmail.com
http://cyberwebconsulting.com