[Baypiggies] Assuming NoPython is good criticism. (Rant)

Keith Dart keith at dartworks.biz
Wed Sep 9 02:08:20 CEST 2009

=== On Tue, 09/08, Rich Pixley wrote: ===
> Personally, I think it's sad that the packaging and community library
> attempts, (like pypi & EasyInstall[sic]), have been language specific
> rather than leveraging the packaging systems native to the OS, (like
> rpm, debian, etc).  While this makes it easier to interactively
> download one package on one uncontrolled machine, it makes it more
> difficult to do things like automated loads across multiple servers,
> multiple server instances for things like clean machine installs, qa,
> etc.
===

FYI, the distutils/setuptools can build RPMs from the Python package
(as defined by setup.py). It can also build Windows installer package
on Windows, from the same code base and metadata.

To make publicly available RPMs, .exe, .msi, etc., that are
platform/distribution specific, would require a large "build farm"
consisting of all the target platforms. I don't think that would be
practical for the Python community.

Since Python is very cross-platform it actually makes sense to have its
own packaging system that you can build target packages from.

-- Keith Dart

--
Keith Dart