[Baypiggies] open source hosting for small Python libraries

Alex Martelli aleax at google.com
Wed Sep 16 21:57:46 CEST 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Tung Wai Yip <tungwaiyip at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm already using ASPN. But it is not useful for maintaining and evolving
> the code. Once in a while I get a request like can you make it backward
> compatible with Python 2.4. It need to have some version control mechanism.

I find Google Code open-source project hosting works well with
Subversion and Mercurial (my two favorite VCSs, as it happens) -- it
includes a simple but usable integrated code review facility that's
handier to use than a general instance of Rietveld on appspot.com
could be (though the latter would support just about any VCS, and is
somewhat richer), as well as other facilities you could typically want
(issue tracking, etc, etc).

Before Google Code launched Mercurial support (for a long time it was
svn-only), I also used bitbucket and I found it good, too (it also has
the advantage of hosting non-open-source projects at reasonable rates,
if you're interested in that) but now that I can get hg hosting on
either bitbucket or code.google.com I find I prefer the latter, thanks
to such little but useful touches as the code review facility, for
example.

If you're into git rather than mercurial, I assume you'll prefer
github, or, if into bazaar, then launchpad. But now that the PSF has
chosen Mercurial as the future DVCS for Python itself (current
migration from svn to hg in progress), I do imagine hg will gain some
more prominence in the Python community.

Alex