[Baypiggies] Interesting video regarding Python porting/debugging

Kevin Wright akwright at mac.com
Thu Apr 29 20:41:22 CEST 2010

Hi,

I just ran across this video by a guy who wrote some automation for
porting python 2 to python 3 for the libraries written in C. It also
shows some interesting debugging examples:

http://press.redhat.com/2010/04/27/fedora-13-spotlight-feature-exploring-new-frontiers-of-python-development/

here's an excerpt from the blurb on this page:

SystemTap includes its own scripting language, and David Malcolm used
this capability to develop a Python-based “top” function, to show
Python activity across the entire running system. But beyond that, he
also created an additional script that developers can use to see their
applications calling and returning from individual Python functions.
The combination of these tools in Fedora 13 can give developers
immediate insight not only into their program’s flow, but also into
how their application spends its time, and where bottlenecks might be
occurring.

Hope you find this as interesting as I did.

Disclaimer. I work for Red Hat which sponsors Fedora.

--Kevin