[Baypiggies] BayPIGgies and Open Source (was: Complimentary class on SPM.Python)

jim jim at well.com
Thu Aug 5 20:00:47 CEST 2010

   great thanks to aahz for raising the topic. tony's
response seems dead on right.

   the following is my attempt briefly to explain how i
approach the job of getting and coordinating speakers
for baypiggies, respond to aahz comment re Minesh's two
talks, and present a plea for help.

   i worry about the direction of the baypiggies group
in that i want it to persist. technical groups seem to
have "seasons" in which attendance and character of
focus changes. Our change of venue from Google to
Symantec (thanks to tony and symantec) preceded a drop
in attendance. The recent appearance of other groups
that focus on Python (mainly in San Francisco) seems to
coincide with a drop in attendance (with respect to
average attendance at the google campus meetings).
   the point: i've stepped up my efforts a little bit
to excite baypiggies activities.

   myself, i'm close to virulent in my support of free,
libre, open source stuff. as baypiggies'
speaker-getter/coordinator i lean strongly toward floss
topics.
   i am not opposed to commercial efforts.
   getting speakers for main topics as well as newbie
nuggets is a struggle.
   i make an effort to get speakers.
   a few members, notably tony and jj, have recruited
speakers. i exercise no filtering on their efforts; my
job is to let everyone know of dates open and help out
by making sure no one books a conflicting date.
   as to my own efforts to get speakers, my criteria
include
* free, libre (liberty vs no-cost), open source
* interesting and timely technical issues
* inclusion of python code examples in the presentation
* speaker has reasonable presentation abilities (low bar)
* reasonable expectation that the topic and/or speaker
will positively affect baypiggies.
   re my efforts, i offer to help speakers tune their
presentations; i'm open to supporting speakers other
baypiggies members recruit, but i don't usually offer
("stick my nose in").

   probably worth noting: i've learned that i am the
default meeting moderator. my policy is that the person
who recruits the speaker should be the meeting moderator.
i believe the meeting moderator should be low-key:
someone to move the meeting through its phases--it's
the speakers who should be the focus of attention.

   i'm open to any discussion, suggestions, changes,
opposition... to the above general approach.

   as to the specifics of Minesh's two presentations:
* the topic seems large in scope and important: that
the difficulty of getting speakers led me to suggest
to Minesh that he make two talks, one general to the
topic and the other specific to his efforts.
* i encouraged him to participate in the BayPIGgies
mailing list discussion, to provide access to his
product, and to promote the free class he's recently
advertised.
* i believed that the topic and Minesh's efforts met
the criteria i use (above) and would have a positive
effect on baypiggies mailing list and attendance. note
that i view aahz' comment as a positive result (any
discussion is good discussion).
   looking back, the two talks look successful.

   if you've read this far, you're likely interested
in the baypiggies group. please help get speakers for
newbie nuggets and primary topics, please talk up
baypiggies to the greater technical community, and
please contribute to the baypiggies mailing list. (and
remember, the focus is python and related technologies
with as little as possible focus on administrative
meta-issues.)
   helping to get speakers can be as simple as noting
topics for which you'd like a presentation: what
recent developments in Python pique your interest?