[Baypiggies] BayPIGgies and Open Source (was: Complimentary class on SPM.Python)

Minesh B. Amin mamin at mbasciences.com
Thu Aug 5 20:29:55 CEST 2010

Hi Jim/Tony/Aahz/Folks,

You all have raised valid points ... points that I discussed
with Jim in the background as he alluded to.

Thanks to input from Jim, I have gone out of my way
to give presentations with two goals in mind:

  +) introduce what I believe are very powerful concepts on
       how to think about issues in this field of parallel software,
       and

  +) show how a specific capability goes about solving various
       aspects so that the whole presentation is grounded in
       the reality that all of us as software engineers face on a
       day to day bases;

That this presentation is not some pie in the sky approach
no what is, at the end of the day, a very sexy topic.

Again, thanks for raising valid points. I hope you see what
motivated my approach.

Cheers!
Minesh

On Thu, 2010-08-05 at 11:00 -0700, jim wrote:

>    great thanks to aahz for raising the topic. tony's
> response seems dead on right.
>
>    the following is my attempt briefly to explain how i
> approach the job of getting and coordinating speakers
> for baypiggies, respond to aahz comment re Minesh's two
> talks, and present a plea for help.
>
>    i worry about the direction of the baypiggies group
> in that i want it to persist. technical groups seem to
> have "seasons" in which attendance and character of
> focus changes. Our change of venue from Google to
> Symantec (thanks to tony and symantec) preceded a drop
> in attendance. The recent appearance of other groups
> that focus on Python (mainly in San Francisco) seems to
> coincide with a drop in attendance (with respect to
> average attendance at the google campus meetings).
>    the point: i've stepped up my efforts a little bit
> to excite baypiggies activities.
>
>    myself, i'm close to virulent in my support of free,
> libre, open source stuff. as baypiggies'
> speaker-getter/coordinator i lean strongly toward floss
> topics.
>    i am not opposed to commercial efforts.
>    getting speakers for main topics as well as newbie
> nuggets is a struggle.
>    i make an effort to get speakers.
>    a few members, notably tony and jj, have recruited
> speakers. i exercise no filtering on their efforts; my
> job is to let everyone know of dates open and help out
> by making sure no one books a conflicting date.
>    as to my own efforts to get speakers, my criteria
> include
> * free, libre (liberty vs no-cost), open source
> * interesting and timely technical issues
> * inclusion of python code examples in the presentation
> * speaker has reasonable presentation abilities (low bar)
> * reasonable expectation that the topic and/or speaker
> will positively affect baypiggies.
>    re my efforts, i offer to help speakers tune their
> presentations; i'm open to supporting speakers other
> baypiggies members recruit, but i don't usually offer
> ("stick my nose in").
>
>    probably worth noting: i've learned that i am the
> default meeting moderator. my policy is that the person
> who recruits the speaker should be the meeting moderator.
> i believe the meeting moderator should be low-key:
> someone to move the meeting through its phases--it's
> the speakers who should be the focus of attention.
>
>    i'm open to any discussion, suggestions, changes,
> opposition... to the above general approach.
>
>    as to the specifics of Minesh's two presentations:
> * the topic seems large in scope and important: that
> the difficulty of getting speakers led me to suggest
> to Minesh that he make two talks, one general to the
> topic and the other specific to his efforts.
> * i encouraged him to participate in the BayPIGgies
> mailing list discussion, to provide access to his
> product, and to promote the free class he's recently
> advertised.
> * i believed that the topic and Minesh's efforts met
> [...]

MBA Sciences, Inc (www.mbasciences.com)
Tel #: 650-938-4306
Email: mamin at mbasciences.com