[Baypiggies] python-based test frameworks?

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 22:40:42 CET 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 9:19 PM, Jeff Enderwick
<jeff.enderwick at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I need to test a web front-end and a rest api in an automated fashion.
> Both are implemented w/Django, if that helps.
> Does anyone have a set of tools/frameworks that they love? Bonus
> points for frameworks authored in Python.

I'd use Nose and wsgi_intercept.

I don't think Selenium is appropriate for testing a REST API (nor is
Windmill).  wsgi_intercept can help you test WSGI apps in process.
Use Twill if you need a simulated browser, which it sounds like you
don't.

One of these days, I want to try out:

https://github.com/heynemann/pyccuracy/wiki/
https://github.com/rlisagor/freshen

They're replacements for Cucumber in Ruby.  However, in the interest
of keeping it simple, I say go with Nose and wsgi_intercept.

Happy Hacking!
-jj

--
In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
with great love. -- Mother Teresa