[Baypiggies] Web Crawler/Backend Engineer - San Francisco, CA

Crshonda Williams crshonda at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 2 21:17:57 CET 2010

Please send resumes to:  crshonda at chompapps.com

Crawler/Backend  Engineer
Chomp
San Francisco, CA

Overview
Chomp is seeking an experienced backend engineer to take ownership of our crawling and search engine components. We're ideally looking for someone with experience at a search company, although this isn't essential. We're looking for a regex and scripting wizard with experience building multi-threaded applications. You'll also be in charge of our search indexing and ranking algorithms, so this is very much an all-rounder position. The right candidate will be excited by that rather than intimidated.
Check us out here: www.chompapps.com

Us:
- Chomp is an exciting new mobile start-up, funded by top Silicon Valley investors & working on the biggest mobile problem the world faces today.
- We are engineers, smart & aggressive... & have built and sold companies in the mobile space previously.

You:
- Will be working with an extremely small team & will get in on this opportunity early!
- Smart, hungry and ready to make your mark. It would be a plus if you have a good sense of humor too. :-)
- Prepared to do whatever it takes to succeed.  - Passionate about building products that blow people away.

Responsibilities
- Take ownership of the search components of our backend infrastructure - in particular our crawler and ranking algorithm.
- Write and maintain high quality, scalable, unit tested code.
- Be involved in QA testing.

Experience
- Strong Python skills. Experience with building multi-threaded applications in Python
- Strong MySQL skills, including both query and database design.
- Backend experience at a search company is highly desired.
- Experience with open source search engine libraries such as Lucene or Sphinx highly desired.

- Experience with distributed version control, preferably Git.