[Baypiggies] Web Crawler/Backend Engineer - San Francisco, CA

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Feb 3 02:15:39 CET 2010

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010, Asher Langton wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2010, at 2:14 PM, Aahz wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 02, 2010, Tung Wai Yip wrote:
>>> I think my experience tells me don't build multi-threaded
>>> applications in Python ;-)
>> Why?  I've had about equal trouble with multi-processing and
>> multi-threading.
> In short: multi-threading is really bad in Python 2.x when the threads
> are CPU-bound.

Absolutely.  Well, almost -- it's still really good for creating a
responsive GUI application.  See my Fibonacci example in my threads

Nevertheless, that's completely different from "don't use threads".

PS: you can remove the "2.x" from your comment; even if the Unladen
Swallow people improve GIL handling, it's almost certain that CPU-bound
threads will still be subpar.

import antigravity