[Baypiggies] Salary ranges

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Feb 17 05:36:16 CET 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010, Hasan Diwan wrote:

> Agreed with the skills improvement. I have found that the
> non-technical skills are more important (especially how you come
> across in an interview) and that, technical people including myself,
> tend to dismiss communications skills as fluff. I'm sure any one
> reading this email has the ability to write code for Google, Amazon,
> Oracle, or any other employer. What sets those that get hired and
> those who don't is how well you present that knowledge. It's not what
> you know, nor who you know, it's how you communicate it.

There's a lot of truth in that, but I have to disagree to some extent
with the thesis that everyone here has the ability to write code
anywhere.  I certainly don't have that ability.

One thing I make a point of doing when I'm looking for a job is
explaining that if someone particularly wants a highly productive
programmer, I am not a good fit.  My background is tech support, and I
still tend to solve problems from that perspective.

"At Resolver we've found it useful to short-circuit any doubt and just
refer to comments in code as 'lies'. :-)"