[Baypiggies] [Job] Syapse Inc. hiring Python / Django expert

Tony Loeser tony.loeser at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 09:34:10 CET 2010

Syapse is a biomedical informatics startup formed at Stanford and based in Palo Alto, building applications that organize the data in modern biopharma companies. We leverage semantic technologies and biomedical ontologies to deliver scientifically intelligent search, collaboration, and management applications.

We are growing, and need to add some key players to the team. In particular, we are looking for a Django expert (or expert in the making) to take over the application delivery platform. This is a ground-level startup opportunity with plenty of responsibility, joining an enthusiastic team with successful entrepreneurs.

Key Responsibilities:
- Lead the web application development for Syapse's main products and internal tools.
- Organize a small team of engineers and designers contributing to the application.
- Plan and implement new application features, as well as tools to enable internal operations.
- Assure scalability including database and physical web server configuration.
- Manage the virtual data center (in the Amazon EC2 cloud).
- Optimize and tune web application performance.
- Optimize and manage the MySQL database.

Requirements:
- Minimum of five years experience developing web applications, with experience across the full stack, browser to database.
- Fluent in Python, SQL, HTML, Javascript.
- Knowledge of standard web application issues including security, performance, caching, HTTP protocol, Apache configuration.
- Experience with Django or similar web application framework.
- Solid MySQL experience.
- Solid documentation, testing, and process fundamentals.
- Ability to work independently, collaborate remotely, and bring other engineers up to speed on your work rapidly and thoroughly.
- AJAX abilities are a plus.

This and other jobs are listed online: http://www.syapse.com/jobs.php#j1 . You can submit a resume through the website, or else contact me directly for a technical discussion at tony-at-syapse.com .