[Baypiggies] Django frontend alternatives

Alex Martelli aleax at google.com
Thu Jan 14 23:04:41 CET 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:09 AM, K. Richard Pixley <rich at noir.com> wrote:
> Alex Martelli wrote:
>>
>> Take a look at dojango, http://code.google.com/p/dojango/ -- it helps
>> integrate Django with the Dojo javascript framework (not quite as
>> popular as JQuery, but not too far -- for a Pythonista, Dojo has the
>> advantage of being designed by Python enthusiasts, e.g. async
>> operations use Deferred objects that are closely modeled after Twisted
>> Python's own Deferreds, etc, etc).
>
> Dojo is also completely free software, which is a big win imo.

Dojo can be used with AFL or BSD licenses at your choice; jQuery, with
MIT or GPL licenses at your choice; Google's Closure Library, with
Apache 2.0 license (Google's Closure Compiler, Closure Templates and
Closure Inspector are also all Apache 2.0-licensed). So I'd say all of
these Javascript frameworks are "completely free software" (so is
dojango -- "New BSD" license, like Django), unless your definition of
"completely free" is somewhat peculiar.

Alex