[Baypiggies] [JOB] Software Engineer, Cloud Fabric Team, Nimbula Inc.

Alex Martelli aleax at google.com
Fri Jul 2 06:49:50 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 9:03 PM, Jeff Enderwick <jeff.enderwick at gmail.com> wrote:
> Aahz,
> I wouldn't make the leap from not being lawyerly about the job requirements
> to not being able to write correct code! I think all of us who read it (even
> those who don't have CS sheepskin) realized that equivalent knowledge would
> likely be gladly accepted in lieu. Finding great people is so hard! Anyone
> who is overly strict on that sort of requirement is sure to suffer.

If they're serious about this hiring and its importance, and if you're
right that what they say is A MUST (*VERY* strong wording!) is not
indeed a must, they're pretty weird people -- why did they
deliberately choose that (you assume incorrect) wording?!.  By far the
most common wording includes, as Aahz mentioned, "or equivalent
experience", after all -- IF, that is, one IS willing to evaluate
candidates with a different degree but lots of experience.

I'm saying they "deliberately chose" that
odious-to-all-other-degree-holders wording, because of the assumption
that they ARE serious about the importance of this hire, and therefore
must have given it all due care and attention.  If they *accidentally*
pick wrong (and odious;-) wording DESPITE paying very careful
attention to what they're saying (because they consider this hire
important), then they're even weirder than I hypothesized above.

All in all, I think that your assumption that they don't really mean
what they say (despite saying it with so precise and forceful a choice
of words), one way or another, has to be extremely insulting to them
-- even more than I would like to be, and that's saying something;-).

Alex