[Baypiggies] Google app engine /google app account for baypiggies.net ?

Alex Martelli aleax at google.com
Thu Jul 15 08:21:30 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 2:23 PM, William Deegan <bdbaddog at gmail.com> wrote:
> Although GAE makes it easier to use google logins for user accounts, it's
> not the only option.

Absolutely not -- even my favorite microframework,
http://www.tipfy.org/ , for example, supports (cfr
http://www.tipfy.org/docs/api/tipfy.ext.auth.html ) all of:

Datastore (“own” users)
OpenId (Google, Yahoo etc)
OAuth (Google, Twitter, FriendFeed etc)
Facebook
App Engine’s standard users API

(with just about the same API as  google.appengine.api.users , btw) --
I imagine richer frameworks offer even more ways to authenticate with
equal ease.

For a complete tutorial on tipfy's authentication, see
http://www.tipfy.org/wiki/tutorials/auth/ (other tutorials currently
are a hello world and one on the sessions facility, see
http://www.tipfy.org/wiki/tutorials/ ).  I suspect tipfy may be one of
the rare pieces of open source that has more docs than code (and I
personally think that's a GOOD think: the really tiny amount of code
makes it a really MICRO framework, the generous amount of docs makes
it even easier to learn and use very rapidly -- and for any further
add-ons one just reaches into the wealth of WSGI middleware and
particularly werkzeug...!-).  But, I'm digressing.  I suspect any GAE
app that demands a google userid is probably written by pretty lazy
people (e.g., tipfy users who can't be bothered to read how to
configure some or all of the other forms of auth;-).

Alex