[Baypiggies] Thoughts on starting a career as a consultant?

Elizabeth Leddy eleddy at umich.edu
Tue Jun 22 21:30:49 CEST 2010

+1000 on the health and taxes part. If you aren't into learning all about
taxes, get an accountant. Whenever I get money in I immediately put 50%
aside for taxes. You also should get your estimated tax payments set up if
you have any kind of guessable income.

Oh and be prepared for people to not pay on time. I've had clients that were
on the mark and paid days later and others that dragged it out for 6+
months. Really business/money saavy clients know how to string you along.
Keep a keen eye out for these types and make sure the payment terms are
strict and clear, with penalties.

I just started working with freshbooks.com and I like it way better than
stuff I've used in the past. I also use mint.com to manage which items are
tax deductible - they make it really easy.

As for health insurance, things have dramatically changed and are still
changing with the new legislation. I saved a lot of money (monthly) by
switching to basically a catastrophe plan ($250/month down to $52) but I
have a high deductible so if you can have that money in the bank shop around
on plans. I really like this health insurance search engine and check often
to see if I can get better rates: http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/

I just switched over to full time contractor after doing it on the side for
many years. I'm incredibly happy with the freedom that comes from it so keep
that in mind when you read about all the work that comes too! :)

Liz