[Baypiggies] Thoughts on starting a career as a consultant?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Jun 23 17:13:30 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010, John Withers wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 22:02 -0700, Paul McNett wrote:
>>
>> When you are a consultant working off site, there is nobody managing
>> you, so you need to manage yourself. You may be saying "well, duh"
>> but this has been my greatest struggle: staying on task, and staying
>> billable.
>
> Hands down my largest work problem when I am working on my own. Not
> taxes, health insurance, late billing, getting clients or anything
> else.  My productivity is about halved if I am working for long
> periods of time on my own.

And this is precisely why I stay W-2.  I've learned that I need the
energy that comes from being part of a team.  There's nothing wrong with
figuring out that the consulting/freelance life is not for you.

"If you don't know what your program is supposed to do, you'd better not
start writing it."  --Dijkstra