[Baypiggies] Baypiggies web site

wesley chun wescpy at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 23:55:56 CET 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Rami Chowdhury
<rami.chowdhury at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 01 March 2010 11:12:34 William Deegan wrote:
>> How hard is it to run Django on GAE?
>
> Apparently it's doable -- there's a fairly active project here:
> http://code.google.com/p/google-app-engine-django/

i put in a little appendix section of our Django book on how to run
Django apps on App Engine, and it uses the helper. however, i wasn't
it wasn't in time to discover a similar project which is more similar
to Django than the helper, called the App Engine Patch:

http://code.google.com/p/app-engine-patch/

this project was newer, and you can find on their web page towards the
bottom, some information that differentiates the 2 projects. however,
i say "was" because the patch is no longer actively being worked on in
favor of yet another project -- django-nonrel -- that has a more
ambitious goal: running Django apps natively on App Engine:

http://allbuttonspressed.com/

here is a specific blogpost about pure Django on App Engine:
http://www.allbuttonspressed.com/blog/django/2010/01/Native-Django-on-App-Engine

> There's also apparently the Kay Framework, which is designed specifically to
> be Django-like but for GAE... and uses a lot of the existing Python web app
> ecosystem:
> http://code.google.com/p/kay-framework/

the patch maintainers also recommend looking at Kay as an alternative.

cheers,
-- wesley
"Python Web Development with Django", Addison Wesley, (c) 2009
    http://withdjango.com

wesley.j.chun :: wescpy-at-gmail.com
http://cyberwebconsulting.com