[Baypiggies] Another newbie question... debuggers

Andy Wiggin andywiggin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 18:42:20 CET 2010

I use the PyDev plugin to Eclipse. I spend most of my coding time
writing C code in Eclipse, so staying in Eclipse when switching
languages is an advantage for me. PyDev has GUIs for breakpoints,
local variables, etc., and if you use the editor you also get the
expected syntax highlighting, auto-indent, etc. But I suspect that if
you couldn't debug it with pdb, you also couldn't debug it with PyDev.

OTOH, if you had a debuggable CPython process running you could attach
to it with Eclipse (with CDT, not PyDev) and see what was going on
inside (just as you could with gdb). If you thought you might be
spending a lot of time switching between debugging Python code and
debugging loaded python modules or CPython itself, it might worth it
to do it this way.

-Andy