[Baypiggies] Hiring / Bioinformatics Tutor/Hack day

Brent Pedersen bpederse at gmail.com
Mon May 17 20:45:19 CEST 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Greg Cheong <gregcheong at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Tung Wai Yip <tungwaiyip at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> +1.
>>
>> And feel free to bring your problem from work if you think it can be solved
>> by newbies.
>>

> Even if they can't be solved by newbies, I would be interested in
> hearing about them just to see more real-world examples.
>
> -Greg C.

for anyone interested in bioinformatics problems, there's a
stackexchange-like site for bioinformatics:
http://biostar.stackexchange.com/

a lot of the questions on there dont require too much biological
knowledge and some of them are programming problems short enough to
hack up a solution in a few minutes. it's not python specific, but
worth a look. here's a recent one with a couple python solutions:
http://biostar.stackexchange.com/questions/1050/enriched-regions-search-program

i'm interested in a bioinformatics meetup as well--especially if it's
at berkeley, and i can think of plenty of real-world problems to
inflict on other folks.

-brent