[Baypiggies] Job post - ShopKick
Fadi at shopkick.com
Fri Sep 24 01:59:53 CEST 2010
Shopkick is looking for a Server-Side Engineer to write the logic that
powers web and mobile services, informed by a thoroughgoing knowledge of
infrastructure, scalability, and performance.
- Design, implement, benchmark, and deploy simple, elegant,
- Create scalable infrastructure supporting rapid expansion.
- Design and implement flexible APIs supporting location-based services
from smart phones.
- You have a thoroughgoing understanding of server-side engineering for
web sites, using open-source software stacks.
- You are a creative thinker, with a knack for finding the simple "right"
answer, in an extensible way.
- You like to develop code in an "agile" development, working closely
with product and the rest of the engineering team throughout the development
- You are comfortable with database design and querying, preferably
MySQL: you know the trade-offs in schema design, you're not the kind of
person who delegates all queries to an ORM, and you know (and care) what is
- You have worked on projects that have "scaled big." You automatically
think about distributed systems. It's likely (and desirable) that you were
there for a lot of growth, and you've got some scars from scaling that have
taught you how to approach scalability.
- You understand the underpinnings of large-scale distributed systems,
including communications mechanisms, caching technologies, etc.
- You have experience in API design, and RESTful services are second
nature for you. You're also comfortable with binary wire protocols, and know
when to prefer one over the other.
- You have been exposed to service-oriented architectures. You're
comfortable with the idea of combining data from various sources on the fly,
and with figuring out how to get it fast.
- Since you care about scalability and are something of an out-of-the-box
thinker, it's likely that you have extensive experience with non-relational
data stores as well (Sleepycat, BigTable, Cassandra, etc.).
- You have an unusually comprehensive systems-level understanding of web
services. You can think backwards from an SLA to figure out what types od
redundancy are needed and how to provide it inexpensively, using open-source
- You are sensitive to performance issues and routinely instrument code
and address bottlenecks with appropriate data models, algorithms, tools, and
- You are the sort of person whom your peers naturally gravitate toward
and look to for expertise when they are lost. You like to code, but you are
also a leader.
- At least four years' experience writing distributed, high-volume web
- Familiarity with several open-source application development stacks.
- Facility with SQL query analysis.
- BSCS or better, or equivalent experience.
- Experience with service-oriented architectures, such as Thrift,
ActiveMQ, etc., strongly preferred.
- Experience designing APIs preferred.
- Expertise in Python a strong plus. Pylons is an added bonus.
- Exposure to enterprise systems in a previous life a plus.
To apply send your resume to
jobs at shopkick.com<https://firstname.lastname@example.org>
Server Side Engineer in the subject line.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Baypiggies