[Baypiggies] upper case, lower case, and....?

Dirk Bergstrom dirk at otisbean.com
Fri Apr 1 19:13:54 CEST 2011

On 04/01/2011 06:01 AM, Vikram K wrote:
> I have this protein sequence (each character represents an amino acid):
> PEGKWLGRTARGSYGYIKttaveidydslkrKKNSLNAVPPRLVEDDQDVYDDVAEQDAPNSHGQSGSGGMFPPPPTDDEIYDGIEEEDDDDGSV
> My problem is that i wish to distinguish the phospho serine character from
> the rest of the small case letters in the modified protein sequence shown
> above.
> Any suggestions?

*) Color
Use ANSI escapes on the terminal, or css in html.  This is, IMNSHO, the
rightest solution, as it gives you many degrees of freedom and is easy
to see (as long as you don't end up with "angry fruit salad").  See:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/287871/print-in-terminal-with-colors-using-python

*) Font weight
Most terminals support bold via ANSI escapes.  If you're in html/print
you've also got italics, underlined and strikeout.  Not as good as
color, but usable in a B&W print article.

*) Whitespace
RGSYGYIK TTAVEIDYDsLKR KKNSLNAVPP

*) Other characters
RGSYGYIK|TTAVEIDYDsLKR|KKNSLNAVPP

*) Depth
On a 3D/holographic display, you can put the modified sequence above or
below the rest of the protein.

--
       Dirk Bergstrom           dirk at otisbean.com
              http://otisbean.com/