[Baypiggies] Baypiggies- background info needed

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 02:35:45 CEST 2011

There's a huge difference between the SF Python Meetup and BayPiggies.
 At BayPiggies, everyone tends to be older, the crowd is smaller, and
more people are looking for work.  At the SF Python Meetup, everyone
tends to be fairly young, the crowd is often fairly large, and lots of
startups are hiring.  A few months ago, there was a bidding war to see
who would come up with the best referral bonuses.

The SF Python Web meetup and the SF Python Game meetups have a bunch
of the same people, and they're usually only about 10 people.
(Although, it's 10 very nice people.)

Despite the small turnout at BayPiggies, it's still my favorite users
group among any that I attend (in Ruby, Scala, etc.).

-jj

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 11:49 AM, jim <jim at systemateka.com> wrote:

>    I don't know what happened with the SF Python groups
> that Grace Law was evangelizing; others may.
>    The PyWeb and the PyGames groups were meeting
> monthly in the SF library; the regularity of these
> groups seems to have gotten wobbly lately.
>    Noisebridge has a Python class each Monday evening.
> The PyPy road show came to Noisebridge a couple of
> months ago for a weekend-long sprint. Noisebridge also
> hosted a PyCon video event a couple of months after
> last year's PyCon. Noisebridge has hosted a few other
> one-offs in the last couple of years.
>

> On Mon, 2011-04-04 at 11:28 -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 11:23 AM, jim <jim at well.com> wrote:
>> [Sorry, jim who?]
>> > * at about the same time as the change of meeting
>> >  place, a few python interest groups were established
>> >  in San Franciso, and it's likely a few baypiggies
>> >  attendees shifted their schedules to those groups.
>>
>> I'd be interested in knowing about those SF Python interest groups (I
>> don't see them as competing, they would just seem to be more local).

In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
with great love. -- Mother Teresa
http://jjinux.blogspot.com/