[Baypiggies] ACCU tonight 'Code Simplicity: The Science of Software Development' Max Kanat-Alexander

Walter Vannini walterv at gbbservices.com
Wed Aug 10 18:03:45 CEST 2011

When:      Wednesday, August 10, 2011
Topic:     Code Simplicity: The Science of Software Development
Speaker:   Max Kanat-Alexander
Time:      6:30pm doors open
         7:00pm meeting begins
Where:     Symantec
         VCAFE building
         350 Ellis Street (near E. Middlefield Road)
          Mountain View, CA 94043
Map:       <http://tinyurl.com/334rv5>
Directions: VCAFE is accessible from the semicircular courtyard between Symantec buildings <http://tinyurl.com/2dccgc>
Cost:      Free
More Info: <http://www.accu-usa.org>

The topic of this meeting will be "the fundamental laws of software development", as described in Max's upcoming book "Code Simplicity". The book took many years to compile, and is currently planned to be published by O'Reilly Media in Q4 of 2011. This talk starts off with a discussion of the broad, general rules currently known in the field of software design, to give us a good base. Then we'll discuss the newly-discovered Laws of Software Design and how they can be used in practical software development, showing also how they underlie many of the currently-known best practices.

The hope of "Code Simplicity" is to change the world of software development, to take it from its current rudimentary, unsure state and elevate it to a level where we all as software engineers have a common base of ideas which we can use to understand, discuss, and handle complexity, design, implementation, maintenance, change, and all of the other broad aspects attendant to our software engineering lives.

Max Kanat-Alexander is the author of the forthcoming book "Code Simplicity: The Science of Software Development" to be published by O'Reilly in Q4 of 2011. He is also the Chief Architect of the Bugzilla Project, the author of fedorafaq.org, and a Software Engineer at YouTube.

Meetings are open to the public and are free of charge.

---------

The ACCU meets monthly. Meetings are always open to the public and are free of charge. To suggest topics and speakers please email Walter Vannini via walterv at gbbservices.com