[Baypiggies] Ageism rehashed

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Tue Feb 1 20:39:36 CET 2011

Roderick,

    I have had an experience today that I think you can relate to. I'm never
been someone who has an issue with ageism because I am still quite young,
pass for young, and am quite current with the 'trends' etc...

    However, I don't think I've ever seen a more blatant violation of ageism
today. I had a phone screening with someone who, believe it or not, came
from the BayPIGgies list. They asked me blatantly "When did you finish High
School."

    My mouth fell open. I couldn't believe that such a blatant question was
asked. Maybe he didn't know. I explained that I could answer that question
as it would reveal my age and that, therefore, was not a question he could
ask. He never backed down. In fact, he become quite confrontational that I
would have an issue with this. I was *amazed.*

    First of all, there is *NOTHING* possibly related to my resume of when I
finished High School. Not a single thing - no matter how he tried to justify
it. He can't justify "filling in any gaps" as High School was before my five
year history on my resume. I did leave IBM to finish a degree at University
- that is unusual - and would show a work gap until someone reviewed it. I
can easily answer that question and explain. However, he didn't seem
interested -- only when I graduated High School.

    I personally have no issue with my age as I'm currently in my
programming prime. But, I refused to answer out of principle -- like when
someone tries to ask race when they shouldn't.

    Regardless, I'm reeling from the conversation and am thinking of any
type of legal sanctions that I could ask for. I need to calm down before I
take this too seriously, but I am seriously considering what can be done as
it was so blatant and so unapologetic.

Cheers,

Glen

--
Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter
least.

-- Goethe