[Baypiggies] Ageism rehashed

Venkatraman S venkat83 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 05:16:58 CET 2011

2011/2/2 Daniel González Gasull <daniel at djansoft.com>

> By the way, where I come from (Spain) almost everybody writes the date
> of birth and also usually their married status in their resume.  I was
> actually pleasantly surprised when I realized nobody in the US does
> that and is actually forbidden to ask that information in a job
> application.

Same is the case in India. Almost every applicant is supposed to furnish
his/hers complete personal details. But most Indians, do not care much about
it.

I have a personal way of putting things when people talk about security on
the Net :
The very 'aspect' of 'security' vanishes once you get online. You can
'always' be tracked.(scary!)
Same is the case in any country. All your personal details are anwayz with
the Govt.
Hence, sometimes the Indian's way is nice, because you do not care about it
and hence
avoid the headache. You will be surprised how Indians do not care much about
Privacy - both
on the Net and the off of it. Only things that are personal are the bank
information!

I think this has more to do with societal structures. I find my American
pals
supporting personal privacy very much, which is almost non-existant in other
societal structures. This has got to do with 'culture', and hence
recruiters(and others)
*should* respect it.

Thanks for the great discussion :)

-V