[Baypiggies] Ageism rehashed

Tung Wai Yip tungwaiyip at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 2 06:45:51 CET 2011

> 2011/2/2 Daniel González Gasull <daniel at djansoft.com>
>
>> By the way, where I come from (Spain) almost everybody writes the date
>> of birth and also usually their married status in their resume.  I was
>> actually pleasantly surprised when I realized nobody in the US does
>> that and is actually forbidden to ask that information in a job
>> application.
>>

> Same is the case in India. Almost every applicant is supposed to furnish
> his/hers complete personal details. But most Indians, do not care much
> about
> it.

Same in Hong Kong. Is is trendy/customary to put a picture on your resume.
It is probably a no-no is US. I think US has a strong egalitarian and
anti-discriminatory culture, which is great. On the other hand it is also
very litigious, which is not so great. What is basic person info in other
culture is considered taboo in US and people go a great length to
obfuscate it.

I think the tech industry is a great place to be in terms of
inclusiveness. Many companies put diversity into their HR policy and I can
see a lot of evidence in practice. Also base on my experience, meritocracy
reign in hiring. I think such culture is a better mean to attain
inclusiveness than legal means. Same for computer language. I prefer a
language that makes it easy to do the right thing rather than tries to
protect you from making mistakes but also make doing anything at all
difficult.

Just my humble opinion.

Wai Yip