[Baypiggies] Ageism rehashed

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Feb 2 15:57:33 CET 2011

On Wed, Feb 02, 2011, Hasan Diwan wrote:

> Gents (and ladies, if we have any), we all have our shortcomings,
> whether it's caste, ethnic background, religion, or whatever. We all
> have succeeded (to one extent or another), despite them. Was I able to
> achieve as much as I could in a "purely meritocratic industry"?
> Probably not, but I have achieved one hell of a lot in spite of an
> Arabic name.

While we're discussing diversity and given that we probably have a number
of non-US people, I'll just mention that for many people "gents and
ladies" does not cover all adult humans.  Because of the history behind
"lady" many women refuse to call themselves that (and some will get
downright annoyed when labeled as such).

Side note: yes, there are a number of women in BayPIGgies -- in fact,
BayPIGgies was started by a woman (Deirdre Saoirse Moen).

indirection."  --Butler Lampson