[Baypiggies] Career Advice

Bob Van Zant bob at eventbrite.com
Tue Feb 15 19:24:21 CET 2011

As someone who has interviewed hundreds of developer candidates during
the past few years I can tell you that there are at least a few ways
to be a nice, smart guy or gal that doesn't get a job offer:

- No basic set of computer science fundamentals. Know the difference
in time and space complexity for various operations on lists, hash
tables and trees. You may never implement any of these data structures
but if you don't know how they work the likelihood of you choosing the
wrong one on the job is high. We're not looking for the next Knuth,
you just need the basics but most candidates seem to have never
learned them.

- Can't write good, clean, testable, maintainable code. There's no
faking this one. While you're writing code today focus on making it
better. How can it be more testable? How can you make it easier to
refactor in the future? More readable? Ask yourself these questions
every time you write code and eventually you'll start writing
beautiful stuff and you'll be able to speak intelligently about it
during an interview. Many open source projects have horrible code. Be
careful if you're using them as an example.

Probably every developer job I've ever interviewed for, on either side
of the table, has required these skills. On the interviewer side of
the table the majority of candidates fail on these two fronts.

By the way, eventbrite.com is hiring python people :-)

-Bob