[Baypiggies] Career Advice

Zachary Collins recursive.cookie.jar at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 20:27:31 CET 2011

  It's funny, because, I'm a software engineer who has little trouble
getting jobs, does really strongly in interviews, and have been at it
for years but... I don't really spend much time reviewing things like
algorithms and complexity.  Sure, I studied them in school, and it's
worth keeping them "on your mind", but I think recruiters and other
programmers kid themselves if they think that knowledge of that stuff
is decisive in their hiring habits.  You can know every algorithm in
the book and it won't necessarily make you a better or more attractive
hire.

  Because if it's useful and relevant, you'll learn it.  I know alot
about algorithmic complexity and algorithms only because they apply to
my work on a regular basis.  I say, if you're really looking for a way
to get up to speed on the relevant skills to make a good impression,
do it the same way you did it with learning your first language, how
you learned to ride your bike, or how you learnt to drive:  just do
it, alot.  Find anything, at all, that seems interesting and primarily
focuses in programming, and start doing it alot in your spare time.
My gateway drug (and to this day I still get my jollies from) was
programming video games, might be worth considering.

   The best programmers in the world are the ones who just have
buckled a certain amount of hours down.  Your code will be cleaner,
your knowledge of algorithms will be wider, and everything that is
relevant to your area will become clearer naturally as you explore
programming fully on your own.  Don't waste time with classes or books
unless they are interesting and motivate you to code more.  Don't
believe that there's a magic formula of smarts and advice that's going
to give you a secret edge.  The edge is experience.

  That's my feeling.  It's not remotely hard or worth worrying about.
Just do it.  Anyone can program well.