[Baypiggies] Career Advice

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Feb 16 04:49:46 CET 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:

> But why limit yourself to a job?  Why not go down the path of
> entrepreneur and create your own career?  While working full-time, I
> moonlighted and started building up a client base as a freelance web
> application developer.  After doing that for a dozen years and
> building up a sufficient savings cushion, I launched my own
> business.  I set aside my fears of not having medical benefits, a
> retirement account or steady income and just went for it.

Why not?  Because some of us just don't have the personality for it.
After painful experience, I've learned that I need to be part of a team,
and it's a lot easier to be part of a team doing a steady job.

"Programming language design is not a rational science. Most reasoning
about it is at best rationalization of gut feelings, and at worst plain
wrong."  --GvR, python-ideas, 2009-03-01