[Baypiggies] Career Advice

Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder Web at StevePiercy.com
Wed Feb 16 11:39:34 CET 2011

On 2/15/11 at 7:49 PM, aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) pronounced:

>Why not?  Because some of us just don't have the personality for it.
>After painful experience, I've learned that I need to be part of a team,
>and it's a lot easier to be part of a team doing a steady job.

Agree on the personality traits.  Self-employment is not for all people.

Disagree strongly on the team aspect.  I have formed more and
better teams and professional relationships since going solo.
It's hard to pin down the exact reason for that, but I would
attribute it mostly to these differences:

* I work on things for which I have a personal interest, whereas
while employed I seldom had a choice of what to work on.  My
teammates share that same interest (usually they are a small
business owner or organization) and the enthusiasm is contagious.

* I have the potential for earning a great deal more, whereas
while employed I was stuck at a salary level with little
opportunity for growth.  As part of my compensation, I can
negotiate a stake in projects.  My teammates usually have a
similar stake, and so are motivated as well.  For me the reward
has been worth taking the risk.

* My clients express their appreciation for my work and efforts,
whereas in a job I rarely got thanked or felt appreciated.

--steve

-- --
Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder
Soquel, CA
<web at StevePiercy.com>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>