[Baypiggies] setup.py of the _future_

Lincoln Peters anfrind at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 09:46:07 CET 2011

I don't have all of the answers, but maybe this will help...

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 11:30 PM, Herbert Pfennig <herbert at albinen.com> wrote:
> I am working on a test framework and have been trying to get
> a good grasp on the direction I should take with packaging my
> project. Essentially the things that I would like to support are as
> follows:
>
> - Have multiple subpackages along with a core package that can be
>  installed separately (kind of like twisted, zope, scipy, etc)

We did something like this at my company.  We ship a "PARC" (Python
ARChive) installer, which is a Python script with a really long
base64-encoded string representing a tarball with several RPM's in it
(one for our product plus all of our dependencies), and the necessary
logic to install them using yum.  This works especially well if you
want to be able to easily install on a computer that might have
limited network access and minimal pre-installed software, although it
helps if you know in advance what package management tools the
software will be installed on (our customers use Red Hat Enterprise
almost exclusively).

Theoretically, you could adapt the same idea to any collection of
installable packages, with any package management system.

--
Lincoln Peters
<anfrind at gmail.com>