[Baypiggies] adding hyperlinks to output

Eric Walstad eric at ericwalstad.com
Wed Jan 12 18:53:24 CET 2011

Hi Vikram,

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 7:01 AM, Vikram K <kpguy1975 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a bunch of symbols in one of the columns in my program's output
> file (a csv file which can be opened in excel). I wish to add
> hyperlinks to each entry in this particular column in my output file.
> A sample symbol/entry in the specific column of interest in the output
> file is USP8 and it needs to be hyperlinked to
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene/9101. (So, when you click on 'USP8'
> in the output file, your browser automatically opens the site
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene/9101).
>
> Can someone tell me how to add hyperlinks to my output?

If you write an anchor tag to your csv file Excel might/should
recognize it as a hyperlink.  You could test that by editing one of
the lines of an existing csv file by hand and then opening it in
Excel.  If that does what you want, then modify your csv writer code
to output an anchor tag:

If that's not what you are looking for it would be helpful to see a
sample CSV file line and a description of how you are writing the
lines to a file.

Eric.