[Baypiggies] A talk on testing frameworks

Minesh B. Amin mamin at mbasciences.com
Tue Jan 18 00:12:20 CET 2011

Hi Keith,

It is amazing how many basic things need to be revisited
in the context of parallelism!

Basic thing about setuptools is the design philosophy of
"single-version, externally managed". So, one has to
manipulate "sys.path" to pick the correct version ...
something that gets out of hand very quickly when, say,
trying to run multiple versions in parallel.

Basic thing about our solution is "multiple-versions,
internally managed". "sys.path" would point to the root
where multiple versions reside. The actual path is
determined by the version picked, or inferred (in case
of default behavior).

In other words, "sys.path" should be short and sweet :)
Also, the system should tell me as early as possible when
packages I am interested in are not present -- a really
important feature when dealing with multiple cluster/cloud
environments.

Regards,
Minesh

--