[Baypiggies] Reminder - Tonight: SF Python meet-up featuring Dev Tools for Django and Web2Py

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 02:35:48 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 8:26 PM, Venkatraman S <venkat83 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 4:25 AM, Grace Law <grace at lolapps.com> wrote:
>>
>> http://www.scribd.com/doc/60038745/web2py-talk
>>

> web2py does look interesting. Do they have any benchmarks against django -
> like template rendering, and orm queries(like a complex orm query)
> I really liked the feature of deploying it 'anywhere' - even on GAE. It is
> indeed an interesting feature.

I kind of think it's a mistake to compare Django with web2py from a
performance standpoint, or at least, you shouldn't spend too much time
on that one thing.  I think what's interesting is how different the
two applications approach web development.  For instance, web2py lets
users do all their coding in the browser like Zope used to, but under
the covers, it still writes to files (so you can develop like a normal
developer does).  Furthermore, it lets you download and upload entire
applications via the user interface.  Like I said, it's more like
Zope, but done right.  Another big difference is that the templating
engine is an extremely thin wrapper around Python--it takes about 2
minutes to learn.  Hence, I think it's fair to say that it optimizes
for developers rather than template authors.

-jj

--
In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
with great love. -- Mother Teresa