[Baypiggies] Fwd: Reminder - Tonight: SF Python meet-up featuring Dev Tools for Django and Web2Py

David Berthelot david.berthelot at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 02:23:32 CEST 2011

From: Massimo Di Pierro <massimo.dipierro at gmail.com>

> For a typical web app my experience is the bottle neck is the database and
> independent on the framework.

Having been a relatively advanced user of Drupal, to me the direct cause of
slowdown was the framework itself. Not in the time it took to execute the
lines of code but because of the SQL requests and datastructures underlying
the framework (node ids, revision ids, permissions, views, etc... would
generate a lot of requests to view a simple page). So I generally wouldn't
consider the database speed independent of the framework as long as the
framework does some automatic database request generation and type handling.
This became particularly obvious as the database grew bigger and the
framework became slower.

That being said, this could be a Drupal specific issue and may be web2py
database is better optimized (e.g. closer to human written data-structures
and requests).