[Baypiggies] Question about breaking out of a loop

Jeremy Fishman jeremy.r.fishman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 22:32:44 CEST 2011

Your second and third definitions aren't really different from each other.
 Both incur a "per-iteration penalty", the first with an if-statement and
the second with a dictionary lookup.

I bet you are not going to get a noticeable speedup over a simple
if-statement check, but an alternative approach is to solve the problem you
are checking for up-front:

>>> # warning: not a proof
>>> def count(seq):
...   return sum(1 for e in seq)
>>> def f(n, w, t):
...   return (c for c in combinations(range(n), w) if c[0] < t)
>>> def g(n, w, t):
...   for i in range(t):
...     for c in combinations(range(i + 1, n), w - 1):
...       yield (i,) + c
>>> [count(f(10, 5, i)) for i in range(5)]
[0, 126, 196, 231, 246]
>>> [count(g(10, 5, i)) for i in range(5)]
[0, 126, 196, 231, 246]
>>> list(f(5, 3, 2))
[(0, 1, 2), (0, 1, 3), (0, 1, 4), (0, 2, 3), (0, 2, 4), (0, 3, 4), (1, 2,
3), (1, 2, 4), (1, 3, 4)]
>>> list(g(5, 3, 2))
[(0, 1, 2), (0, 1, 3), (0, 1, 4), (0, 2, 3), (0, 2, 4), (0, 3, 4), (1, 2,
3), (1, 2, 4), (1, 3, 4)]

  - Jeremy