[Baypiggies] What is the best way to release simple (Python) open source utilities?

Simeon Franklin simeonf at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 19:25:54 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Jeff Fischer
<jeffrey.fischer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>  I've written a Python utility to kill processes by name. [snip]
>  I could package it up with a setup.py and put it on PyPi, but that seems
> like overkill for a 100 line script. I could put it on github, but that also
> seems like overkill (or do people commonly share scripts that way?)

Hey Jeff -

I've been in the same boat with a small but useful utility. I dumped
mine in a github gist (https://gist.github.com/242055/) as the easiest
thing to do but honestly have on my personal todo list getting it up
on PyPi. Partly this would be a learning experience for me (I have
never published code on PyPi) but also this seems like the pythonic
thing to do - then getting the utility would be as simple as
easy_install pydelatt.

Would publishing simple python packages (1 file, 106 lines) be a good
newbie nugget sometime?

-regards
Simeon Franklin