[Baypiggies] Feedback on a library evaluation checklist

Dirk Bergstrom dirk at otisbean.com
Wed Nov 9 05:05:53 CET 2011

On 11/08/2011 04:07 PM, Michael Pittaro wrote:
> I"m putting together a checklist of review items for selecting a
> particular Python library, and would appreciate some feedback.

Some things I look for when evaluating a project:

*) What's the user community like?  Is there an active mailing list or
forum?  Are the folks there helping each other, or are they all whining
or begging the developer for help and fixes?

*) Is there a public bug tracking system, and is somebody actually doing
something with the bugs that are filed?

*) Where does the project stand in google search results compared to
other roughly equivalent projects.  If there are a million hits for
project X, and 100,000 for project Y, that gives you an indication of
relative uptake, which, if taken with a very large block of salt, can be
a good indication of the strength of the project.

*) Is there an ecosystem developed around it -- plugins, add ons,
helpers, etc.

These are more applicable as you scale up to projects and frameworks,
but they are still valid for large or popular libraries (sql alchemy,
numpy, etc.).

--
Dirk Bergstrom
dirk at otisbean.com