[Baypiggies] Python Ncurses menu documentation

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Thu Apr 12 09:05:06 CEST 2012

In article
<CA+UBrj60VaZXd94_AsmA92O1+eSxpz+SwuYS70BcFYvu1bVE6Q at mail.gmail.com>,
 Glen Jarvis <glen at glenjarvis.com> wrote:

> I've found Python bindings for ncurses.
>
> http://docs.python.org/library/curses.html
>
> I've played and gotten panels to work as well as the typical curses.
>
> http://docs.python.org/library/curses.panel.html#module-curses.panel
>
> However, what I need is the menu library:
>
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/NCURSES-Programming-HOWTO/menus.html
>
> For the life of me, I can't find this in the Python standard library. Could
> someone help me confirm that this is missing from the standard library, or
> point me in the right direction to find it?

>From the Python source, in Modules/_cursesmodule.c:

/*
[...]
  Here's a list of currently unsupported functions:
[...]
  Menu extension (ncurses and probably SYSV):
  current_item free_item free_menu item_count item_description
  item_index item_init item_name item_opts item_opts_off
[...]

*/

There's a dormant patch here:
    http://bugs.python.org/issue1723038

There's no chance of it getting applied to Python 2 but, if someone
updated it for Python 3.x, there's a good chance it would be applied
there.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org