[Baypiggies] Asynchronous web tasks

Meenal Pant meenalpant at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 17:28:34 CET 2012

I use Django in production and now have a need to perform asynchronous
backend tasks that
a. Are some scheduled jobs
b. Jobs triggered via a user input via Django frontend.

I have been thinking of using twisted or message queues (RabbitMQ and
celery) to achieve this.  From my research so far:

1. Twisted allows both a and b though the learning curve with twisted is
steeper
2. RabbitMQ and celery is easier to use, allows a but does it also allow b?

I am looking for some opinions /recommendations to use one of  these two
technologies or something else altogether ?
Thanks
Meenal